Today I got up early to go diving, yet again….lol, with another Dive Shop. I had originally gone with Paradise Divers which was ok, but very busy with lots of people, and a bit impersonal. Sarah, my English Psychologist diving friend, agreed with this, so we looked around last night at shops and settled on Bajo Dive Shop. They were small, nice and gave us a great price. We went out today and have a fantastic day, diving.
It was a lovely clear day when we left, and there were only four of us diving, on the whole boat as opposed to 16 or more on the other boat we had been on. The boat had a lovely sun deck in the front, with a cover for shaded spots as well. There was already made coffee and tea in hot pump thermos’ and crackers, cookies and watermelon to eat whenever you wanted to. The Dive Master that we went with was a really nice German guy, young, that just loves living here and likes hanging with the locals a lot more than the Westerners that live or work here. That interested me right off the bat. On other boats I’ve been on, the crew are all Indonesian, help you with your equipment, run around changing heavy tanks, driving the boat, cleaning it, and everything else, and the staff that work the dive shops don’t even seem to notice them. Maybe that’s not true, but it sure looks that way. Tim, the guy today, is clearly friends with the boat crew and is comfortable and engaged with the community. I really like that because Indonesians are so friendly, but can be really shy if they sense that the Western people are not interested in them, or boss them around. I thought that Tim’s approach and genuine interest in the people was so charming and a huge draw for me, to go to that shop. I also really love the small numbers and intimate atmosphere that they have.
The first place we went diving was called Batu Balong and it was the place that I liked when I went with Paradise Divers, but had to come up after 29 minutes. This time I was with Sarah, and two German guys, plus Tim. All were experienced divers and we stayed down for just under an hour. The depth was about 26 meters, and you started off deep, then zig zagged across the reef to shallower depths. It is the spot that there are two huge rocks which split a strong current. Behind the rocks, is a drop reef that so many fish call home. We saw millions of colourful fish of all shapes and sizes, a turtle eating along the reef, and a large White Tipped Shark, resting on the reef. I stopped to watch him for a long time and could examine him in detail because he wasn’t hidden inside a rock or overhang as they often are. His mouth was perfectly round and soft looking without blemishes, though he was a large shark. His tail was not nicked and all his fins were perfectly clear without reef bites or marks. This shark was so perfect, it was incredible to stay and watch him for so long.
When we came up, we went to our second spot which was Manta Point. I’d been there before also, but hadn’t seen many Manta’s as one of the 6 guys diving in my group kept getting all excited, and rising up, scaring them away. Today, however, we saw five large Manta’s at the cleaning station, which were lovely. They didn’t stay as they sometimes do, but we got to have a good look at them anyway. I got another guy’s photos of them to share with you so that you can get an idea of how majestic and proud they are.
This dive was over an hour because we were fairly shallow. After the Manta’s left, we scoured the ocean floor which was covered in beautiful coral of all colours, with many many Manta Shrimp, Cuttlefish, Puffer Fish and more, along the bottom. It was a relaxing and beautiful dive that lasted a nice long time. Still, when the Dive Master indicates that it’s time for your Safety Stop, you never want it to end. I had a long wetsuit today, because although the water temp is 25 degrees, it feels cold down there after a while. The long wetsuit really helped, along with my rashie. I was perfectly comfortable and not shaking by the end of the dive as has happened before. A super pleasant dive and experience with this company.
| Dive boat |
Sounds so wonderful Mike said your going to grow gills and fins in no time 😉
ReplyDeleteLovely dives, & descriptions of them. Can't wait to see pix when they come through. Too bad about the sketchy wifi connections. Glad you have 4 more dives with Sarah. Sounds like a nice & interesting companion. Love to u dear, Mom
ReplyDeleteAlways choose integrity first! Well done!
ReplyDeleteThe Indonesian people deserve to be treated well by foreign employers (and foreigners in general). Great call.
I have to say, the image of dozing on the sun deck sounds like the culmination of a perfect experience, or at least as close as you can get?
Amanda and I would spend mid morning dozing on the sun deck when in the Caribbean, utter paradise!
Really wish I was there with you.
Great post, thanks for that.
Great that you found someone who treats his people with respect. Shows that he is the perfect person to take you out there into the deep. Andrew was wondering what kind of shark and I'll let him know it was a white tipped shark.
ReplyDelete