Monday, March 2, 2015

Gili Meno (Mar. 2, 2015)

Mar. 2, 2015

Today I got up and left to catch the boat for Gili Meno, the smallest of the three islands. They call it Honeymoon Island because it is so small and quiet. There isn’t even an ATM on that island, so you know it’s small.

Anyway, I caught the public boat at the harbour which is just a two minute walk from the hostel. I wanted to be there early in case it was also early as well, but it wasn’t. I didn’t mind though, I sat watching the people and taking in the ocean. It was mostly foreigners that were waiting on the dock for the boat, but the boats coming in, carried primarily all Indonesian people. I guess they come here from other islands, and probably Lombok, to sell things during the day, then go home at night.

The boat arrived, and I got on with all the other people. It was a fairly short ride over to Meno, about 15 minutes or so. I got off and began to walk around the island. I had a map that I got from the hostel here, so I was able to navigate all the dirt roads, in and out of the city and around the perimeter of the island. Most businesses, schools, restaurants and Guest Houses, were marked on the map, so I had lots of landmarks.

I knew that there was good snorkelling on the north side of the island, so I started by heading in that direction. I wanted to find a deserted place to do yoga and then snorkel. I didn’t want to be around any beach side cafes or dive shops. I did find such a place and it was glorious. I spread out my towel in the shade of a tree overlooking the water and leisurely completed all the yoga poses, without a rush. It was very relaxing and beautiful to hear the water lapping up, when my eyes were closed, during the breathing and meditation exercises. 

Where I did yoga
Looking out from where I did yoga 











After I finished, I hid my bag in some very thick bushes, and went for a swim and snorkel. I found a long pipe or something from a ship, that was in the shallow water from the shore out to some deeper water. I followed it along, looking at all the pretty fish that had made this their home. Many colourful fish were feeding on the algae that had grown on this pipe or whatever it was. They were hiding in and around it, as it was made partly of cement and had cracked open when it came off the ship, revealing a long metal shaft, perhaps a drive shaft now that I think of it. The ship must have been huge, because this drive shaft was really long and went out very far into the water. Anyway, it provided a great home for the fish and I stayed there, looking at the various types for well over an hour. I had wanted to draw after that, but realized that my time was running short to start a drawing, as the boat returning to Trawangan left the dock at 3:20 and it was by then, 1:00. I didn’t know how long it would take me to walk back around the island, and I also wanted to see the fresh water lake they have in the middle of this island. So, I didn’t draw today, though I did take my stuff. 

Where I went snorkelling
I gathered my belongings and set off to find this lake and head back in the direction of the harbour. The dirt roads, and the shade of the trees were really nice. There are no vehicles on this island either, just bikes and those little pony drawn carts, as I showed you. So, you can imagine how lovely and quiet it was, just walking along. All that I heard were the birds and some random animals making noises as I walked by. Lovely.
Friendly cow
Cute goat
One of the ponies for the carts
I did find the lake and it was nice. There are supposed to be a lot of interesting birds to see there, but I didn’t see many, though I don’t know my birds that well, in any case. 
Fresh water lake in Gili Meno centre
Lake view #2











Then I made my way back to the harbour and caught the boat back to Gili Trawangan. It was a nice day, but I needed a shower, and to wash my stuff out. I was really happy to see the island, though I’m glad that I didn’t decide to stay there. It really is quiet and small, but a little bit too small for any length of time. Here are some of the other sights I came across while walking through the island.

Pretty path I walked on
Another pretty path
Beach bungalow
Local house garden
Village mosque
Pretty hotel and hostel
Tomorrow I will catch the same boat, with all my stuff, and go to Gili Air. I will stay there for a couple of days, as it’s bigger, but quieter than Gili Trawangan. I am thinking of taking a boat trip that is available, to several islands further into Indonesia, including Komodo Island, and Flores. There is fantastic diving there and I would love to do the treks, and snorkelling that they are offering. The guy who owns a travel company that I met in Senggigi and had dinner with, is the one who is organizing it. Take a look if you want. It’s www.alamlombok.co.id and the one you need to click on is the first Komodo Tour. Once you get into that site, it should say something about Komodo Backpacker Tour, 4 days and 4 nights. It sounds really good, and super reasonable for an all inclusive trip of that length. I have texted Abel, who owns the company, to give me more information about how I would get back from Flores, etc. and if I could dive there before returning. I might as well, as my time is running short…lol.

More news from Gili Air.

2 comments:

  1. excellent day!
    I love the idea of an almost deserted place, very cool!
    Looking forward to hearing of the next adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adventure you are having Sue!! I love some o the food you are eating.

    ReplyDelete