Apr. 12, 2015
Today I got up early, did yoga and got ready for the day. I was going to meet Martin, Cez, and Kevin at Chatachak Market. That’s the huge weekend market that I went to the last time I was here, with the Spanish guy, Viktor.
Anyway, I was there to meet them around twelve or a bit after. It is really nice to know how to get around somewhere, for once…..lol. We met up and walked around the market for a while, looking at the countless, endless stalls. It’s such a huge market and rather exhausting and somewhat overstimulating for more than an hour or two. We stopped for something to eat, and that was really nice. It was pretty hot out, so that also plays havoc with your nerves. Not anything like the first time I visited Bangkok though.
| Me, Martin, Cez and Kevin at lunch |
Everyone was selling things for shooting water, at the market today, in addition to the clothes, food, and everything else possible. That was of course, for Song Kran which officially starts tomorrow. They have started blocking off the major streets and bringing in huge containers for water. It’s a really big celebration and everyone is off work for it. I think it is several days that people get off for this. Everything will be closed starting tomorrow, except the shopping malls. They are open and no water or guns are allowed in the malls or on the public transportation.
After we shopped and looked around the market for a while, and had something to eat, we left to catch the subway. They were going to a large mall to pick up something they needed, but I felt like going back to the hostel and relaxing. Actually, I had other motives. I forgot to tell you in yesterday’s post, that I went to the massage place I found last time, and had an hour’s massage. The guy who did my massage, was named Pi, and was fantastic. He did a great job and I felt amazing.
I asked him if the shop was open so that I could come and get another one before I leave. He said that the shop would be open today, but not the next day, or for several days after. I decided to go back and get another massage instead of going to the mall. I thought that was a no brainer…..lol.
Well, this time, the massage was great again, but I guess that massages in Thailand can range in boundaries from soup to nuts, literally. Pi, doing his fantastic massage, got to the hip and stomach area, and massaged my lower stomach and intestines which was awesome. He did this yesterday, as well so I thought nothing of it. Then he kind of flipped my legs over his legs, and kept massaging, then began to move down further and further. It was all I could do not to burst out laughing. He was about 21, gorgeous, and totally buff. I think it is actually a gay friendly massage place, so his intentions were very liberal, but not for me. As his hands moved down into the ‘no go’ zone, I gently moved them up, and said that was ok, not to do down there. He laughed and said. “Ok madame, no problem.” The thing is, even after that, I didn’t feel awkward as I knew he understood and wouldn’t proceed with that anymore. A totally different way of thinking, and it’s just what it is, nothing more. I kind of like having the perspective that it is only a business suggestion and nothing else.
Anyway, the massage was great, and I was super happy that I went. My body sure did have some kinks in it from all the diving and going up and down the boat ladder with the tanks and equipment on. I was a little sore, but in a good way. So funny about the extra massage options.
Then I had a bowl of pork wonton noodles and soup on the corner, and followed it up with a coconut ice cream that I bought from the little old man with the single cart. I had found him and his wife, the last time, and their ice cream is famous. You might remember me describing my new concept of the ice cream sandwich, on bread. That was the little cart episode.
A great day and evening. Then I went to bed, happy and relaxed.
Apr. 13, 2015
Today I woke up early, to the sound of my What’s App. It was around 6:30 but I wasn’t tired anymore because I went to bed so early. The message was from Jon, to Face Time if I was up. Then I got a voice text from Livi, asking that I FT her when I woke up. So, I got out of my bed, grabbed my computer, and FT’d them. It was so much fun. Livi was genuinely excited about telling me that in two more days, I would be returning to Canada. I was so touched and felt her love from that. She was bouncing and really happy. What a sweet person she is. Both the kids are so dear and loving and Amanda and Jon, you’ve done such a great job.
After that FT, I decided to try to call and see if my beloved Step Mother was home for a chat. As luck would have it, she was, and we had a great talk on my Magic Jack phone. I love that crazy phone. We were talking about how soon we would be seeing one another, and how long it had been since we had a visit. I am really excited to be spending time with you, Jan. It will be a great way to ease my way back into the Canadian life. The weather first of all, but just the quiet setting and beautiful scenery will be good for me. It is just perfect for getting my mind around returning to my life in Toronto. I don’t know if I’m ready for that, but will be doing it anyway, so spending some time with you before that, will help a lot.
Then I got showered and took the Skytrain to MBK Mall, to buy a few last minute things for the kids. It was Songkran, so I had to pick my way to the subway station carefully or I would be soaking wet. Even that wouldn’t be too bad, because it’s so hot here, that you dry off pretty fast. I ended up taking a little longer route, so that I could scope out how I would get to the airport tomorrow, as the festival will still be going on, and I really don’t want to have a soaking wet suitcase to put onto the plane, if possible. It wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world, but I’d rather avoid it if possible.
| Street at 11:00 am |
| A few people already starting |
| Blocked off main road at 11:00 am |
| Looking out from the bridge of the mall after I went shopping |
| Some fun with water |
| The throngs of people from the Skytrain stop, returning home 2:00 pm |
| From Skytrain platform |
| Same view from 11:00, only now it's 2:00 pm |
Tonight, there is an All You Can Eat and Drink Party at the hostel. I’m glad because I feel like doing something, but not going out into the throngs of people to be shot at…..lol. It’s fun, but seeing it and getting wet this afternoon was enough for me. So, the party tonight will be perfect, and I don’t have to go anywhere. Everyone coming back to the hostel right now, is soaking wet, and full of energy. It’s a really nice way to end my time here, though I’m sorry to be leaving SE Asia.
OMG, those throngs of people look overwhelming in the heat & likelihood of getting soaking wet! Sounds fun in short encounters, but returning to the hostel's relative peace a welcome alternative. The pix were great. So nice u have decent wifi again so u can send them. The final massage was hilarious. Great that u could communicate the limit & have that respected. Sounds like the intent was friendly anyway! You must have such mixed feelings as you leave your 6 mos in SE Asia. What a rich collection of experiences you have had on the journey. So many new friends & places, & the fabulous diving along the way. Did your total stay at 92 or did u have more? Can't believe the number. Too bad u couldn't reach 100 before leaving! Oh well, murky Lake Ontario, here you come! Lots of love as you make your trip to Canada & have a great visit w Jan. Can't wait to see you here later on. Love, Mom
ReplyDelete