Thursday, April 9, 2015

Last Dives and Day in Malaysia (Apr. 9, 2015)

Apr. 9, 2015

Well, today there weren’t enough people to go to the third and final northern island, so we went to Mabul instead. I was diving with two other people, and both of them were very experienced so our dives were long and lovely. Our Dive Master was Val, a really sweet Italian girl who was great at finding things and very funny.

We saw several things that I either hadn’t seen before, or had only seen once before. The Painted Frog Fish was one of them. This one was a bright yellow colour and was incredible. I also saw two Ghost Pipe Fish which are super interesting and look like the lacy leaves on a plant that they live near. You really have to look carefully to see them. We saw many many Crocodile Flathead Fish and some Stone Fish as well.

  • pics of Frog Fish and Crocodile Fish

It was sad to say goodbye to the diving, but I have had such a great time here and have seen so many wonderful underwater sights. I have now done 92 dives. Can you believe it? Apparently, in the diving community, it is customary to do your 100th dive naked. I don’t know about that, and am happy that I don’t have to deal with that now….lol.

Tomorrow morning, I catch the taxi from the Dive Shop, along with several other people going to the airport at the same time, to catch our flights. It’s nice that there are several others because we then split the 90 Ringet fare to the airport, which is about 30 dollars Canadian. I fly to Kuala Lumpur, then have a twelve hour wait at the airport there. I catch a flight to Bangkok after my wait, and stay in Bangkok for three days, then fly to BC. I am really looking forward to visiting Jan, my second mom, and it’s a good way to return to Canada. I can handle the weather in Gibsons first, then ease my way east and hope it's gotten a bit warmer......lol.

For now, I’m just chilling out and will get up tomorrow to organize my stuff. I don’t have to get the taxi until 10:20 am, so that will be easy and not early.

More from the KL airport, I’m sure.
Bye bye Semporna and Borneo. It’s been fantastic being here and I’m a much richer person because of it!

- pics of Semporna town

4 comments:

  1. Wow I can't believe it!!!!! 92 dives how incredible and it's been so interesting reading about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 92 dives? I was close!!! Good for you!
    I really want to see all the pictures? I hope you find good wifi and some time to post them. No biggie if not, ill see you soon anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad to leave your diving paradise, but 92 dives!!! Can't believe it! I knew you needed 100 to take the next level, but never thought you'd get so close to that. Congratulations! Next dive icy Lake Ontario???? What a shock! Do they have insulated suits for cold water? Probably do. And Jon says 145 blog posts. Don't know how he accessed that figure but it's a whopper. Can't believe that either. It's been great piggy-backing on your adventures. I'll really miss them when u stop. Maybe you could just keep up the habit of sharing your daily life?? Would be great to keep going at the writing, since every day for you is pretty much an adventure anyway! Lol. Love & miss u, Mom

    ReplyDelete