| Mom and me at the Cisterna Museo |
| Keepers of the square |
| Mom on the phone to Ralph (click on this one) |
| Cookies from George's bakery |
Yesterday was another great day. Mom and I woke up slowly, so happy to have had great sleeps in our separate rooms. We decided to go to the museum and cistern that are attached to the grand duomo.
The cistern is from about one thousand years ago, and they initially built it to catch the drinking water needed for the town. The excavated remains include funnel type pipes to direct the water, many cool carved stone pillars, edgings and sculptures. We walked around the ruins of the cistern and took some pics of the ancient remains. It is so totally mind boggling to imagine that these types of contraptions were built before Christ in many cases or shortly after. That is two thousand or more years ago. How did they do this without the technology, light and tools that we have today? I know you will love the photo of mom leaning into the well of the water cistern. She is so incredibly cute and has developed so much stamina and strength to walk a long way with few and short breaks.
Then we went to the museum which we didn’t know was as extensive as it was. We went into it about 11:30 am, and it closed at 12:00 for siesta. We thought it wouldn’t be a problem to see everything until we actually got in there. It consisted of about four different rooms of old artifacts that had been collected, many from the churches in Atri. We looked at a few things, then time ran out. I stammered in Italian to the girl at the desk to ask if we could return when they reopened later, to see the rest of the museum. Thankfully she understood me and said that it would be no problem. We left there, sat in the church for a while to meditate and just take it in, then we made our way home. We had a bit of lunch, porchetta sandwiches with some cookies that we got at a nearby bakery. Thanks to my dear friend, for suggesting Georges bakery, though when I asked if the guy who was serving us knew you, he couldn’t remember. Then he asked his wife to come out to ask her. Boy, you better believe my Italian is getting a good run for its money with all this communicating. We have to take another Italian course together and practice more. I forget it if I don’t use it.
Anyway, the cookies and bread that we got were delicious and we chowed down for our lunch. In fact, mom got into the cookies before we even got home. You know how far the bakery is from home…….hahaha.
We went to the square, did some Wifi work, then came home. Mom went down for a nap and I decided that I felt like cooking. I made a pasta sauce of sautéed onion, garlic, red pepper, mushrooms, arugala and ground beef. It was great over fat spaghetti called bucanti. We grated some cheese over it and wow, what a great supper.
Last night we went for a walk which we have been doing every night. The last time we did that, we came across a fantastic night view of the duomo spire and didn’t have our cameras with us. So, mom wanted to go and find it again, so we did. After that we decided to see if we could find this quiet white table on the edge of town that we had come across some other day. We walked for about 45 minutes, but couldn’t find it. Then we got a little lost, but you can’t stay lost here for long as you only have to spot the duomo and head toward it. That’s what we did and found our way home without issue. Every night around 9:30 or so, a weird mist comes in and looks like smoke. This is the second night we’ve noticed it. We’re not sure what or why it comes in, but it is so cool and seems like a spirit or something. It blows in quite heavily and covers everything, looking like smoke, but then disappears. I have included a photo of it. The photo seems blurry, but I’m not sure whether it’s blurry because I shook, or because it is so misty. In either case, you’ll get the idea. It’s so amazing. Now we look for it every night when we go out for our walk.
Today we got up fairly early as both of us have finally recovered from our Florence/Venice trip and feel rested again. We had an early breakfast, then packed up a picnic of crackers, called bruschitinis, cheese, almonds, apples, and of course, wine. We walked and found that cool white picnic table to sit and chill for a while. I did some drawing while mom read. We stayed there for about 4 hours. It was amazing and some of the local stray dogs came to hang out with us and keep us company. I have a favourite stray whom I have named Narone. He often finds us and comes over for a pat or lies down around our feet. We’re a bit nervous to let him lie exactly on our feet, as he is cute but might be flea ridden. Something we don’t need to bring home with us…….lol. Anyway, it was a great morning and afternoon. Later, we will go to the square to send off emails and blogs, then go to the Museo Etnografico which looks like an important Atri museum. Unfortunately, it was closed for the season. Graziano called and said that a guy from the computer place had called and asked that I bring the computer and cord in because everything seemed to be fine. It was a different place that called so perhaps it's where they do the warranty stuff. We will take it there tomorrow, as we were planning on going on an adventure with them anyway. Graziano said the place was on our way, so that's great.
The rest of the evening, we found out when the bus goes from Atri to Pineto, bought our tickets and looked at the place to catch the bus which is much closer than we went to before. All is well for our trip tomorrow.
Love to all of you,
Sue
| Mom and I setting off to read and draw |
| The stray dog who adopted us |
| Mom at the picnic table |
| Me at the picnic table |
Love reading your blog :) and the stray is so cute
ReplyDeleteI love the animals around here. They are so cute.
DeleteSo awesome! You guys both look so good, I'm really happy you get to connect and reflect! Boy oh boy, Mom is really get up and go!!! Love it! NO SKATING. lol
ReplyDeleteI really am enjoying being here with her. I don't get to see her as much as I woul like to. NO Skating, no worries. Ahahaha.
DeleteYour lazy days sound divine! Looking forward to hearing about your adventure tomorrow!
ReplyDeleteYou should videotape the mist coming in. The pasta sounds wonderful! You're in a mystical place!
ReplyDeleteMaybe I will try to do that. It is a wonderful and mystical place. I love it.
DeleteWhy does it not surprise me that you're attracting the local animals? They love your energy, I think. All of your adventures sound so amazing! So glad that you're both having a great time and are really experiencing a lot. I love reading about it! Thanks so much for sharing. Miss you!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Shelley. I am having a great time and enjoying connecting with my mom. I don't get to see her enough and am really having a ball showing her Italy. Miss you.
Delete