Well, the taxi showed up as he was supposed to this morning, and I was early to catch my high speed catamaran over to Koh Tao. It was a great ride, not too bumpy, and really fast over the water. I think it took about an hour and a half to get here. I was met by a guy holding a Crystal Dive sign who directed me to walk about 50 meters down the beach from the pier. There it was, Crystal Dive Resort. I checked in, filled out a bunch of paperwork and was shown to my room.
 |
| Exiting the high speed catamaran |
 |
View from boat approaching
Koh Tao |
 |
| Sign at the pier |
My room is amazing. I have a beach bungalow, with a big, bug free double bed, and fan that points right onto the bed. There’s a little bathroom and pretty much nothing else, but I’m alone, and it’s perfect. So cool that it is even included in the price of the scuba course. I am so glad I signed up for two certificates as I think I am going to like it here. The island is very small, and pretty much caters to divers and tourists, but is not crazy. My place is located away from the party zone, but close enough to walk easily to check it out if I want to. I am so happy!
 |
| My toom |
 |
| Going into my bungalow |
 |
| Room view #2 |
 |
| View of Crystal Dive Resort |
Oh yes, I keep forgetting to tell you that I am in love with the Thai version of a bidet. It is so brilliant, and I think I will buy the attachment just before going home, to hook up in my bathroom. Every bathroom in Thailand has one of these hoses with a sprayer on it, that you use after going to the bathroom to clean yourself with. Super fresh, and easy to use, without taking up all the space that a bidet does. Brilliant!
 |
| Thai style bidet.......brilliant! |
I arrived around 10:30 am and had some time to kill before starting the first part of my course, at 1:00. I decided to walk around a bit, locate the 7/11 and take a mini sight see before my session. There are a lot of resorts, guesthouses and hostels along with many dive shops offering various dives and courses. I found a nice side street through a guesthouse, that led down to the beach, and sat there for a while on a rock, in the shade with my feet in the water. Just lovely, and so peaceful.
 |
| View on walk |
 |
| View on walk #2 |
 |
| View on walk #3 |
 |
| View on walk #4 |
 |
| A favourite drink of Green Tea and honey |
 |
| View #4 |
 |
| Sitting on the rock with my feet in the water |
 |
| Feet in the water view #2 |
 |
| Don't you just love Thailand? |
Then I returned to start the dive course. There are four people in my class, one is even from Winnipeg if you can imagine. The others are from New York and Australia. They are all in their 20’s, but the instructor, an English woman named Jenny, is fairly close to my age. We went through a lot of theory this afternoon, including completing little chapter exams, watching instructional videos, and taking up answers for the practice questions we had. We did a bit of practical though, which was really fun, and that was hooking up, checking and organizing our tanks and BDC vests. That is the hoses, tanks of air, and release valves for breathing under water. That part was really cool and I feel ok about knowing how to do it. We were instructed, then had to put together, and take apart the gear three times on our own. There is quite a lot of checking and testing to remember as well as proper hooking up and gauge work.
For dinner I went to a restaurant called Wang’s, recommended to me by the instructor. It was great. I had Thai curry coconut fish soup. It had chunks of tender fish with vegetables that were just slightly crunchy still. Cauliflower, green beans, carrots, and potato in a really tasty, and spicy broth. Absolutely delicious. I will be back there.
 |
| Yang's restaurant |
 |
| Thai curry coconut fish soup |
I walked through some other streets after dinner and then came back to my bungalow, had a shower and put the fan on me. It isn’t air con, but seems to be fine for cooling and better yet, keeping any mosquitoes away. My course starts at 7:45 am tomorrow and we go into the pool for some confined area practices. I’m so excited.
Have a good day all.
It all looks & sounds so good! The room is comfortable, fairly spacious & so clean. Love the fact that u got double accommo but have the space to yourself. Nice environment in all the pix. So great being right on the beach so u can enjoy these relaxing little sits w your feet in the water. The coconut fish soup looks great! Love Thai soups. Should be much easier keeping meals light there than in Italy. I've lost what I gained there too. Nice your class is so small. Odd that there are others from Wpg! Good luck w the pool class next. Should be fun to take what you've learned in the classroom & try it out in the water.
ReplyDeleteWhat luck on the accommodations, really nicely done! Great room!
ReplyDeleteLovely surroundings! Just beautiful!
Send some pics of your classmates if u can!
The food really looks amazing!
Love coconut curry soup! Funny about the name of the hotel, but I guess the dive reference is in connection to the scuba thing, not the state of the hotel. :D Speaking of scuba remember to take off you helmet underwater if you have a runny nose. (Learned that the hard way). Have fun, scuba should be amazing!
ReplyDelete