Friday, November 7, 2014

Rain, rain, rain and Happy Birthday Jordana (Nov. 7, 2014)

Before I begin my blog, I want to wish my dear friend from childhood, a Happy Birthday today. I already sang to her this morning, forgeting that it was still Thursday evening for her, and not yet her actual birthday. She has visited Thailand before though, and just laughed when it happened because the time change is so weird. Have a great day, Jo!

Today it poured rain all day, with thunder as well. I stuck around the hostel except for a couple of times when the rain let up, and I could go for a quick walk. This actually gave me some time to plan my next adventure as I feel it's time to move out of the city for a while and see some beaches and islands.

There is a travel agent very close so I decided to go and check them out as I want to go and see the Island of Ko Pha-Ngan. There are three islands in the Lower Southern Gulf of Thailand that are supposed to be beautiful. Many people go to the party island of Ko Samui where the Full Moon parties originated from, and others go to Ko Tao, one of the world's top three scuba diving areas, and schools. There is one more island that is the middle sized island, Ko Pha-Ngan and that is where I will go.

It boasts beautiful beaches, a more laid back atmosphere for the hippy group, as well as a number of natural waterfalls. I booked a really nice looking hostel there, owned by an English couple with hand made wooden beds and bunks that do not creak and make noise when you move on them. That alone I have to see. I fly there as it is a twelve hour bus ride, which I can't face on these curvy crazy Thai roads. It is one hour by air, to a place called Surat Thani, which is also the name of the airport. I am presuming it is really small and just services the immediate beach and island areas. I fly Asia Air which is the low cost internal airline. The ticket you purchase also includes the bus from the airport to the pier, and the boat across to the island. It should be fantastic. I am looking forward to it a lot. I booked for two nights there and then wanted to see one or more of the other islands.

I decided to go to Ko Tao, the smallest island, after Ko Pha-Ngan. I investigated their diving school in the process, looked up a lot of reviews and research on their schools and discovered that it was listed second in the world for diving certification. I dug a bit deeper and found the 5 star rated diving school's website. I took a look and for a very reasonable price, far less than anywhere else in the world, you can get two PADI diving certificates that are acknowledged world wide, doing a 6 day course on site, including your accommodations, snacks, drinks, and all the materials, equipment and instruction for certification. I signed up and am going to do that in Ko Tao.

It has a variety of areas and underwater Japanese gardens for divers of all levels to explore, and it looks and sounds amazing. I think I will love it! Don't worry, I also looked into my insurance to be sure that I am covered out of country for activities, and I am, totally. I spoke to an agent at Manulife to be sure, so please don't worry. It's very controlled and they have two swimming pools that you begin your lessons in, with certified dive masters.

Aside from booking those two activities, I did my laundry, hung out at the hostel except for a short walk when the rain let up for an hour or so, and that's about it.

Sorry Livi, no pictures and exciting stories today, but I think seeing the fish and coral under the water will be incredible. I can't wait to share that, and to see what Ko Pha-Ngan is like. The long range weather forecast looks good in those two places as well, so that's a bonus.

Love you all, have a great day. More tomorrow, hopefully, if it's not raining.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the phone call and birthday wishes. It was a great talk!!! I am so glad to read your going for your scuba certification, the diving is amazing in Thialand. Aaron and I did a live aboard for three days and did our advanced certification in Similain Islands. You will love the diving I know it is often the highlight of our trips!!!! Enjoy lov Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great way to spend a rainy day! The plan to visit some islands & get your diving certification sounds awesome. As to getting pix underwater, there's a camera called GoPro. Could u see your way clear to buy one for that expedition? They take wonderful underwater pix.

    ReplyDelete