Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Hoi An, Day 3 (Jan. 13, 2015)

I had a great day. Though the weather forecast said it was supposed to rain the whole time I was in Hoi An, I got lucky and it was cloudy for the first part of the morning, then got sunny. Jodie and I decided to take the scooters and go to My Son (pronounced Me Sun). It is an ancient area about an hour out of town, with ruins of temple and adjoining buildings. The ride out there was as good, if not better, than the ruins themselves. We ate breakfast before leaving, and took a photo with the people we have been socializing with, while all together at the hostel. Such nice people I’ve been meeting.

Me, two of the girls who work at the hostel, Jamie, and Sean
We rode through little quiet towns along the way, with very little traffic, lots of friendly people waving to us and yelling hello, and absolutely gorgeous scenery. There were rice paddies, with people tending their areas, building scarecrows out of poles, colourful plastic raincoats and old motorcycle helmets on top to scare the rice eating egrets, or whatever they were. That’s what they looked like, though a lot bigger.

I totally loved riding through these little roads on the way to the ruins. The weather was windy, but I had a lot of layers on, so it wasn’t too bad. Jodie was freezing and had tons of clothes on, but still wanted to stop along the way to buy one of the many, famous face warmers that all the Vietnamese wear in ‘winter’, which it is now……lol. She had her hood up, underneath her bike helmet, as well as gloves, wind pants and jacket, long sleeved shirts and a scarf. She’s from San Francisco, so I guess I can understand. I was chilly here and there, but nothing of much consequence for how long we rode. 

Me, in on my scooter, stopped in
the little town for Jodie to buy her
face mask
Selfie en route
Jodie and me en route to My Son



We stopped for a coffee on the way to My Son and sat in a deserted cafe, on a little road, and spoke with the sweet girl who worked there. She was so friendly and talkative and spoke a bit of English. We ended up taking some photos with her and we all laughed a lot. 

Jodie, coffee shop girl, and me
Coffee shop girl posing for pic
The coffee shop we stopped at
Then we made our way to My Son and walked through the ruins. It was a lovely, peaceful place, except for the hoards of tourists that began to show up on buses. We just avoided them as the place is kind of spread out and they have to follow a set path with their guides. We didn’t, so just went where they weren’t. It worked out really well. It was very old, and some things had been destroyed during the war, but many parts were still in great order and intact. I was happy to visit the place as it had great energy and was beautiful.
Beautiful Goddess

Trail to the temples
Inside one of the temples/altar




Me, in the ruins

Temple at ruins
Ad for My Son Ruins to see it fully



Then we set off, back to Hoi An, because Jodie had to return her motorbike and I had to drop off at the tailors, to see about my shirt alterations. We went to the tailors place first, saw the top, which was quite nice, but needed some little slits put into the cuffs of the sleeves. Otherwise, it was great, so I asked if they could make me another one, to be ready tomorrow, with the exact same design, only with flared sleeves on it, and in purple. She said they could, so I left the first one there, and ordered the second one. It is quite addicting getting clothes made to a custom fit for such a reasonable price. I paid $15 each for the tops and they will shelter me from the sun, in such a light and breathable fabric. I know I will make use of them in Indonesia, and anywhere else that the sun is strong and hot. They are really nice. Oh, I also got the lady to reinforce my little carry bag that I bought in Hanoi, as the straps near the bottom, were coming loose. She did an excellent job and it was much more secure.

Ladies at the tailor's
Inside of tailor shop
Street view of tailor shop
Jodie and I stopped at that famous Bahn Mi place and got two each to go. We tried the ones we had yesterday, but also decided to try the other kind, which was chicken and cheese. It sounds awful, but was absolutely yummy, with the same spicy sauce and other herbs. Then we stopped at a wine shop that some locals had told us about, dropped off her bike, and headed back to the hostel. Jodie was leaving tomorrow at 5:30 am to catch a flight to Hanoi. So we went back, met up with Jamie and Sean from San Francisco, and another new fellow, Edward who had just arrived, from Singapore. We all sat around chatting and eating our Banh’s and drinking some wine. It was still quite early so that was nice because it was light, sunny and the beach was lovely.

Jodie in front of Banh shop
Anthony Bourdain on sign
of Bahn shop

When Jodie began to pack, I walked on the beach, then we all went for supper to the next door restaurant. I wasn’t that hungry because of the Banh’s but went along anyway. It was fun to hang out with everyone and find out about each other’s culture and customs.
Later on, we had a bonfire on the beach with a bunch of the other people who were staying at the hostel. It was really windy, but lovely around the fire. I was pretty tired from biking all day, so went for a while, but then hit the sack around 11:30. I had things to do in the morning, which I’ll tell you about in the next blog……lol.


Edward from Singapore at the fire



Sean, Jamie and me at the windy fire

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful account of your day. The people sound so nice to relax & to explore with. Love the sound of those fabulous sandwiches. I like the ones Ive had here, but seems there are several varieties u found there. The scooter has been a great way to get around, & with quiet roads, not as risky as u first imagined they might be. Happy to hear u r getting the 2 tops done. Are they a single colour each, or combined in a pattern? Have lots more fun. Love the blogs. Thanks. Love your blogging. Thanks! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those temples look magnificent especially the statute of the Goddess! How beautiful! I have always wanted to ride a scooter...sounds like fun! Andrew is afraid I'll kill myself however. When we were eating our spicy stirr fry we thought of you, and Andrew said, bet Sue is eating a lot of spicy stuff now and loving it. Looks like it's true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pix added. The fire on beach must've been awesome. Love the temples & goddesses too. It all sounds so peaceful, fun & relaxing. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great FT this morning!
    I love the idea of custom made clothing, it feels so good. Unfortunately, not very practical here? Cant wait to see pics of the new duds!!
    The temples are really captivating, so rich in history and culture. I can imagine its a real fun experience seeing yet another ruin or temple, so cool.

    ReplyDelete