Well, today was an interesting mix of cities. I got up early in Hue, had the included breakfast, checked out, and went for a walk before my 1:30 pm bus. I wanted to see the Market before leaving Hue as it’s one of the sights to see. It was really nice, but looked like most of the other markets I have shown you, so I didn’t take any photos. I bought a nice pair of ankle socks, really thick, for $1.20 because my two pairs of socks are starting to lose their elastic and slide down into my shoes when I walk. I thought I’d try one pair and if they work well, I’ll look for another pair and throw out both of the pairs I presently have. They have definitely seen their day and are looking kind of old and dirty, even when they’re clean.
So what I did take photos of, was the supermarket/mall that I went into before reaching the Market. It was kind of cool and looked different than any other supermarkets I’d been in.
 |
| Teas in grocery store |
 |
| Coffee display |
 |
| Milk in grocery store |
 |
| Mall view from escalator |
Then I walked a bit further down the street that ran along the river, to get to the Market. There were some pretty scenes along the street as well.
 |
| Flower shop |
 |
| Bouquets at flower shop |
 |
| Guy working on a bouquet |
 |
| Rain ponchoed motor bike riders coming over bridge |
Then I went back to the hostel and waited for my bus, which didn’t come until around 2 pm. It was the sleeper bus again, though this time it didn’t have a toilet on it. I guess that the trip was short enough that they figured they didn’t need one. I hate that, but always ensure not to drink too much that morning, or night before, and go to the bathroom many times before I board the bus. I was ok, and they stopped at the half way point for the passengers to use the washroom. The trip took about 4 hours and then we were in Hoi An. It’s a nice little city that’s bigger than the ones I’ve visited in the last few towns. Hanoi was the biggest, and now this one. I haven’t seen much of the city yet, as it was dark when I arrived, and I was picked up at the bus station by the hostel, which I arranged this morning.
I got a ride to the hostel on the back of a motor bike with my suitcase, but at least this time, there was a helmet involved……lol. The hostel is about 4 km away from the city center but is absolutely lovely and totally relaxed. I can get more photos in the daylight, tomorrow.
 |
| My bed in bamboo open air hostel |
 |
| Dorm room that I'm in |
 |
| Bathroom and shower area |
 |
View down the sidewalk
|
I got settled, and then met some people in the common area and chatted with them until I felt like going to bed. I met Jodie, who is originally from San Francisco, now living in Melbourne, and another couple from the US, that also now live in Australia. All were very nice and the couple gave me their information about a cooking class they did today that was amazing, and very Vietnamese gourmet. They ate all kinds of odd weird and wonderful things and highly recommended the class for me. I will check it out tomorrow.
Looking forward to seeing the town and what there is to do in it. More tomorrow.
Great blog, & nice to talk to u w family at breakfast today. Still here, so ttyl.
ReplyDeleteLove, Mom
An open air hostel AND gourmet cooking lessons? Sounds like a super fun stop! The city sounds nice and not too overwhelming?
ReplyDeleteYou'll have to let me know how the class went!!!
Love the Flower shop pictures. Was the open air hostel comfortable? The supermarket shots are neat, I guess boxed milk is the best solution.
ReplyDelete