Today I got up early to go to the beach to watch the sun rise and do yoga, but it was raining, so I went back to bed. Then I got ready to go to meet Dewi and have my cooking lesson. I found my way back to her restaurant, but just as I arrived, Yulia texted me and said she was just arriving near my hostel. I didn’t know that she would just show up before texting to make a time, so I told Dewi and said I would go and pick my friend up, and then return. She was fine with that.
When Yulia and I returned, Dewi, sat with us at her table in the adjoining room to the restaurant, and we chatted in Indonesian and English. It turned out to be perfect that Yulia was there, because she has a great command of the English and Indonesian languages, but sometimes doesn’t pronounce the English words clearly. So Dewi was able to ask questions, get answers, and hear proper pronunciation. We wrote out a list of English phrases for her to use with her guests, questions for her to ask them so she would recommend a dish they might like, and the names of various vegetables and meats. We wrote them in English and Indonesian, along with the phonetic spelling so she could say them properly. It was really fun and Yulia enjoyed meeting Dewi. I know she will return to that restaurant when I’m gone.
I didn’t get to cook today because Dewi was too interested in having the English lesson, but promised me that we would do it another day. I thought that would be fine. By then, Reza and Enya wanted to come and meet us to have some food, so we sent them the location and they joined us at the restaurant. We all ate once they arrived, then we went to Reza’s place to watch a movie in the air conditioning. It was really hot today, and even in the shade, we were all sweating and hot. It was a good choice and a great movie. We made popcorn and just relaxed and literally chilled out.
I left before sunset to return to the hostel, as I had forgotten to bring my regular glasses with me for driving at night. I only had my sunglasses so I didn’t want it to be dark when I drove home. On my way home, the police pulled me over at an intersection. They said that the light had turned red, though it was not red, and many others proceeded through it, as well as me. Anyway, I was prepared, with only a limited amount of cash in my wallet, the rest I always keep in my bra, just in case this happens. I told him my English wasn’t very good and looked at him a bit blankly when he started telling me that I’d have to go to court tomorrow to reclaim my license etc. When he realized that perhaps I didn’t understand, he just said "200,000 Rupia, you must pay now". I nodded some understanding and pulled out my wallet, which did not have that much in it. I keep about 100,000 Rupia in my wallet, which is enough to make them happy, but not enough that it is expensive for me. He kept trying to close the door of the little traffic stop corner, so that people wouldn’t see him getting money. When he realized I didn’t have much on me, he took the 100,000 which is about 10 CAD, and left me 6,000 for myself. I guess even corrupt cops have a conscience……lol.
Anyway, it was all good, and I escaped without any major issues. I know that they just want money and am willing to pay, but not a lot. Who knows how often I will be stopped. I usually see them, but this time, they were well hidden and there were lots of vehicles around me, so I couldn’t circumvent them. My first extortion, and it seemed to go well. He was actually very nice.
I arrived back to the hostel a bit later, hung out, wrote to you guys, and am going to bed early to try and see about yoga and sun rise tomorrow. Also, Yulia, Reza and I will go on an adventure to a place in the south of Bali tomorrow. Enya has to return to Jakarta for work, but enjoyed her stay.
Here is the hostel for you to see.
Looks like a great hostel. Too bad u didn't get your cooking lesson, but the English lesson sounded fun & productive. When someone really wants to function w phrases just for a setting like a restaurant, it narrows down what they need to master. Makes it less overwhelming than learning everything. Even if she doesn't understand the tenses & a wide vocabulary, she'll get good at the things related to food & customers. Tonight R & I went to a birthday dinner for MJ at Indira's. She made SIX pizzas, all really good, & sis Catherine made one of her usual yummy cakes, a carrot & pineapple one. There were 10 of us. Tomorrow Jon & family come for breakfast. Today after my sleepover there, Livi said at breakfast that I should just stay for another couple of nights. She tiptoed into my basement bedroom at 7:30 am, & was delighted I could play "babies" with her, since all her baby dolls live down there, & all her Barbies upstairs in her room. So we cuddled about six baby dolls in the big bed until we all got warm. Then Jon cooked us an an awesome breakfast of eggs, coffee, bacon, pancakes, & toast.
ReplyDelete