Feb. 26, 2015
Today went really well. I got up early, showered and got my stuff together to take my motorbike to the airport to catch the flight to Lombok. When I got up, it was raining really heavily, but by the time I had to leave, it had lightened up and was totally reasonable. In fact, it was only spitting by the time I left. I made it to the airport without taking any wrong turns, which was unbelievable. Yulia had given me some really clear directions and landmarks for where to turn etc. Reza had given me a little map of where to park the motorbike at the airport. It was bit tricky to find, but with his map, I had no trouble and parked the bike indoors, and left it there while I will be away. It only costs 1,500 Rupia to leave it there for as long as you want, which is about $1.50 CAD. It was quite a long walk to the terminal, but I found it easily and checked in with plenty of time to spare. The flight was a bit late, but nothing too serious. I arrived in Lombok, and found the public DAMRI Bus, which filled up with Indonesians, and two other Spanish foreigners, then left shortly after I got on. I had read that sometimes it sits for a very long time if not full and won’t go, but that wasn’t the case today.
It was about an hour or so ride into Senggigi, but was lovely scenery and very enjoyable. It’s nice to just have to sit, and look out. Here are some photos from the ride.
| Fields and mountain scenery |
| More |
| Rice paddy |
| Small town on way to Senggigi |
| Nasi Campur I had for lunch |
| My view while eating lunch |
I looked around for a hostel or guesthouse and asked the bus driver before getting off if he knew of any possible places. He pointed me in two directions and I set off to take a look around. The first one I went to was inexpensive, but looked like it might have bugs so I quickly left and sought out the second choice he had suggested. It was a lot nicer, though more expensive, and only had a ceiling fan. I took it anyway because it looked clean but was a bit disappointed about the lack of Air Con as it’s very hot here.
I walked around the town a bit and dropped into a couple of dive centers to find out about diving costs. I had pretty much figured out the best rate I would get, and while I was at the last dive shop, I saw a nice little hostel that looked like it had just opened, across the street. I dropped in to see how much it was and take a look at the rooms. It was cheaper, and had Air Con, so I booked the dive, then went back to the guesthouse I had checked into, and told them I couldn’t stay there because it was too hot and no Air Con. They refunded all my money but $2 for the two hours I had left my backpack there. I thought that was fair, and was super happy to have an accommodation with Air Con and comfort. Since it’s low season, there are only two others in the dorm, and they are far down the way from me, so it’s like I’m alone. It’s great, and even with the $2 I had to pay to leave the other place, it was still a little cheaper. I don’t care, because I’d rather have a good sleep than be hot and uncomfortable.
The hostel is called the On The Way Hostel and is really sweet. The WiFi seems great, and the beds firm and new without remnants or indications of any bugs. Yuck! I am paranoid about this and look at the mattresses all the time. If there are any black smears where bugs have been, I opt out. There were none here.
I’m really excited about going diving tomorrow and I also arranged for the dive boat to drop me off at Gili Air, one of the small islands I want to visit, because we dive near there. If I have to get myself there, it requires a long taxi ride and boat fee. So I thought I might as well strike a deal with the dive shop to get dropped off without an extra cost, and they agreed.
So tonight I will go for some dinner, and get a good night’s sleep so that I can enjoy my diving tomorrow. Yeah! Apparently, I am the only Fun Diver that has certification so I will go with one Dive Master, which means I will get a good tour, and be able to stay down for longer…….I hope.
I would be afraid of bugs too, good thing that they were fair about the price when you changed places. More diving! How exciting!
ReplyDeleteGlad u got settled in a clean & cooler place. How hot is the temp there? Today ours was-30 but very sunny. Yours was probably above +30! Can't wait to hear about your next dives. R & I went out to La Vieille Gare for our 18th anniversary dinner tonight. So delicious & beautiful. I had rack of lamb, & Ralph had a huge appetizer of seafood including smoked gold eye, lox, shrimp, lobster, pate, & capers. Heaps of baguette in the side. Both dishes were extremely good & well presented. Love, Mom
ReplyDeleteYes it's true - you are missing the coldest winter back home in 150 years! Aren't you lucky. What a good break to get the other accommodation.
ReplyDelete