Monday, July 18, 2016

Golf, golf, golf (July 16, 17, 2016)

July 16
Jan and I got up fairly early, had coffee and breakfast, then got in the car and drove to Sechelt, which is about 20 km up the coast. There is a Saturday Farmer's Market there, so we took a peek. It was pretty small, but really cute and had some cool crafts and fresh produce for sale. We walked around for a while and ended up buying a few things. I bought some fresh baby cucumbers and kale for a lunch salad, and Jan bought a pound of fresh ocean prawns which looked amazing. I saw quite a lot of art stalls, but one in particular caught my eye. It was a man who did some glass fusing of used bottles, and made the pieces into mobiles and hanging wind chimes. I thought the idea was so cool and chatted with him for a while about his art. We exchanged experiences with glass fusing, and he asked me about what kind of wash my friend used for the kiln shelves. We chatted about that for a while, I asked if I could take some photos, and then we moved along.
Fused bottle glass mobile
Jewelry bales holding chimes
Wind chimes

Wind chimes














We had a nice kale salad and fixings for lunch, then got our golf stuff organized and left for the course. My first couple of holes were pretty sketchy, but as we continued, I began to catch a bit of a rhythm and got some good shots. I was happy we played on our own to get me back into the game, because the next day we were playing 18 holes with a couple of ladies that Jan knows, who are quite good. I wanted to at least have swung the club a few times so as not to embarass myself too much. It was a really nice game and a lovely day, so I was very happy.


Helicopter view of one of the
holes at the golf course
Another hole at the course















We went out for dinner after we played golf, to a cute little sushi place that seats 14 people and is owned and run by the cutest Japanese couple. The sushi is incredibly fresh and presented in a gorgeous manner. It was a nice way to end our fantastic day. When we returned home, we basically just watched some TV together then hit our beds. I slept so soundly, that I don't even think I moved all night. It was great.

July 17
Today we got up early, had coffee and breakfast and left the house by 8:30 to meet the ladies at the golf course. It was a lovely day, not too hot, a bit overcast, and very fresh. Everything here is so green. The golf course is kept in beautiful condition and perfectly manicured. We met Eileen and Mardi, Jan's friends, on time and set off to play our game. It was really fun, and I had many good shots, and many crappy shots, but overall felt good about my game. I hit enough good shots to have a good time, so that was good.

When we were finished, we sat on the terrace at the golf club, had a drink and some fries, then headed home. It was still a beautiful day, so Jan and I took our books out onto her balcony and read, chatted and enjoyed the rest of the afternoon. We watched a Medivac helicopter circle very low and finally land in the school yard not too far away. I guess they were picking up someone from Gibsons, as the hospital is in Sechelt. We both hoped that whoever was picked up, was ok. Jan was picked up by the same Medivac last year, when she had her heart attack, so I'm sure it hit home to see that. Jan's yard is lovely, and we turned on the fountain that they brought over from Nana and Poppa's yard, when they moved here. I love Laura, the granite statue that was in Vancouver as well.

Beautiful Laura and the bear

Garden fountain

Another view

Two friends that I caught having a bath



















Supper was an incredible treat. Jan made a garlic and black bean sauce for the prawns. We shelled and deveined them, then stir fried them with the sauce, and threw in the rest of my oil massaged kale. We put it over some sticky rice in banana leaves, that Jan had in the freezer. It was amazing, and the prawns were so fresh and delicious. Yum, yum, yum. I'm getting so spoiled!

Amazing prawn dinner

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful time and that dish looks delish yummmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a happy & fun couple of days. You & Jan packed a lot in, but it sounds very relaxed. That prawn dish looks to die for! Remember the early morning fisherman's huge prawns we bought then cooked in San Blas, Mx? They are so delicious right out of the sea. Love u & eager to see u when u get to Wpg next Monday. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that fountain and statue sure bring the memories flooding back! I can almost hear Poppa knocking on the dining room table while doing the sugar cube trick! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete