Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Lost Luggage in Vancouver (July 12-13, 2016)

July 12-13, 2016
I left Toronto yesterday to be at the airport for 4:00 pm. No problem getting there, clearing security, dropping my bag and settling in after a long walk to the gate, to wait for the plane.

Two hours after the boarding time, we still hadn't been called. I had a great time entertaining myself at the bar, meeting several other travellers and having a glass of wine. I met a young couple from the UK with a small child around two years old. There was an older couple as well, just returning from Guelph where they were visiting their son. They were from the UK as well. I sat and talked for most of the time to a really nice guy, Chad, who originated from Calgary, but has just returned after several years of teaching English in the university in Oman. He was telling me about that part of the world. It's still undiscovered as a travel destination and has a lot of amazing things to see and do. The scuba diving is apparently amazing and he knows a friend from Denmark who teaches the Dive Master course..........hmmmmm, tempting.

Anyway, we finally got onto the plane. Chad sat in between myself and the young girl from the UK, Lydia, who was also having a drink at the bar. They chatted for a while, then we all fell asleep. The plane landed in Calgary to pick up and drop off some passengers, but we didn't get off. Then we were off to Vancouver. We arrived at the airport just before midnight.......whew.......because the last Skytrain going downtown, was at 12:56 am. The girl from the UK told me she was staying in a hostel so I asked which one. It so happened that it was the same one I had chosen, so we decided to take the Skytrain together. Well that quickly evaporated, as 6 people did not receive their luggage, me being one of them. Great! So I told her to go on ahead, and I stayed behind, luckily finding a woman who worked there, to take my claim for a lost suitcase. I think perhaps it got taken off in Calgary, but who knows?

I filled out the form, then just made it to the platform for the last train. The walk from the train station downtown, to the hostel was lovely. There were a lot of people out, the weather was nice, and it was no longer raining. I found the hostel, stopped at 7-11 to buy a toothbrush, and fell into bed.

This morning, I feel more rested, a bit grungy, but nothing serious. Hopefully they will find the suitcase and have it delivered to the hostel in speedy time. I called Jan to let her know of my adventure, and again, as luck would have it, this is her day to catch up on chores. I decided to wait for a while to see if my suitcase appears. Then I can grab the bus and go to Horshoe Bay to catch the ferry over to Gibsons.

So, my adventure begins!

After I showered, borrowed some shampoo, conditioner, and face cream from a lovely French girl in my room, I left for a while to put in some time and hope my baggage arrives.
I spent my day today, walking around Gastown, and eating some Pho in a restaurant called Halong Bay Vietnamese shop. I loved Halong Bay, so I went in and ate Pho. It was really good, but not as good as in the Pho in Toronto, and definitely not as good as the Pho in Vietnam......lol. Here are some cool sights along my walks today. I also stopped into a drug store, the Bay, and Old Navy to get myself something to wear, and some clean undies, as well as some shampoo..........urgh. I sure hope my bag comes tonight. If it doesn't, I'm going over to Gibsons tomorrow and they can bring it there. Bye for now everyone. Kind of nice to be doing the blog again. Let me know if you get it.

Samesun Hostel in Downtown Vancouver
Jimi Hendrix Shrine at a shop I passed

Cool building in Gastown

More Jimi Hendrix

Street shot


Wendy, has Jim opened a new business?

My Pho at Halong Bay restaurant

Tiniest, cute coffee shop on Granville St.

3 comments:

  1. I'm happy your doing your blog!!!!!Hurrah, What an adventure so far. The building looks like the flat iron in New York. I hope suitcase is found. Have lots of fun memories in Vancouver

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great for me, living vicariously as you start a new chapter of your blog. A spare day in Vancouver sounded really nice. Hope your suitcase follows u soon. Hi to Jan. Have s wonderful time there! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. OHHHHHH FFS???? Lost luggage? Brutal!
    Glad you're getting sorted out though! I love Van, I'm a bit jealous!

    ReplyDelete