Friday, July 15, 2016

I'm in Gibsons (July 14-15, 2016)

July 14-15, 2016
So I wasn't lucky enough to get my suitcase delivered to the hostel on Wednesday, so I made plans to get up early yesterday, catch the bus to Horshoe Bay where the ferry docks, and go over to see Jan. I was really happy to be making my way over to Gibsons because I haven't seen Jan for a year and really wanted to connect. I called the luggage place and left a message that I would be leaving Vancouver and gave them Jan's address and phone number so they could drop the luggage here.
It didn't arrive yesterday, but it didn't matter because Jan and I had a lovely day chatting, catching up and eating yummy food.

Gibsons is such a gorgeous place and I love coming here. I made it for the 9:40 am ferry so by 10:30, Jan and I were sitting at her place, enjoying each other's company. I love her house and my dad is so present when I am here, that it feels like old times. I sure do miss him though, even after so many years. I suppose that never changes, but it is very comforting to have him all around us when we are hanging out and spending time together. We had a delicious lunch together, looking out Jan's kitchen window to the sea and mountains. I was incredibly spoiled as we ate smoked salmon, veggies, toasted pita with garlic and drank green tea. I always use my dad's mug when I come so that's cool.

We visited and talked all afternoon until it was supper time. Jan made some wonderful fish and steamed beets with their greens, topped with fig flavoured balsamic vinegar. It was incredible! The greens were from her friend's garden and were so good. We had huge blueberries with kiwi, topped with mango sorbet and orange liqueur for dessert. A totally delicious feast, to say the least. In between our catch up sessions, looking at Inuit sculpture and playing cool video games, I called about my luggage.

Ferry over to Gibsons
Looking out the kitchen window
Sunset from Jan's balcony
We went to bed around 11 pm after a fantastic day of 'us'. It is really great to be together after so long, and Jan's heart attack. That was really scary and I am NOT ready to lose her yet, so I feel very lucky to be here visiting her, and finding her looking good, though I know she is still feeling crappy from the meds she has to be on.

July 15
This morning we got up early, had a coffee and some breakfast, then took her car into the shop for 9 am. Her air con wasn't working so she was getting them to put it on the computer to see what the issue was. After we dropped off the car, we took a walk towards home, to wait for the car, and of course, my suitcase...........still. I have now created a log of what has happened during the hunt for the lost luggage, so that I can write to Air Transat to let them know what happened, and hopefully be reimbursed for my overnights in Vancouver, as well as my expenses for purchasing new clothes, toiletries, etc. Who knows, maybe I'll get something more, as in a free flight.......lol......for my inconvenience. We'll see.


Anyway, our walk home from the garage, was lovely. It was about 18 degrees, not very sunny, with a bit of a wind. It was perfect for walking, especially if you are someone, like me, who is regularly receiving intense power surges......lol. You can check out the photos of our walk through the forest. It smells like cedar and moss and everything earthy. SO lovely and super peaceful.
Nice puppy.

You know your in the forest when....
Sue, on a bench, on the trail

Same friend
A friend along the way
Jan crossing a bridge on our walk
At the end of the trail
Looking down the trail, the highway is
right behind us.




































The best parts of today, so far, were that they delivered my suitcase this morning, not long after we got back from our walk, and, Jan's air con issue was only a relay and not the expensive alternatives that the internet said they might be! Yay, and it's only noon.
More tomorrow, or maybe later...............hugs.

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful trail. Happy you got your suitcase back. Conversation and great food is always a wonderful combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Rachel. Glad you're enjoying the blog. Thought you'd like the trail.

      Delete
  2. Looks so pleasant to walk! Beautiful! So happy you fired up the blog again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The woods walk sounded & looked beautiful. Nice healing time from the stressful year you've had. So glad to hear how you are enjoying it. Hope Jan's health is totally back to normal. Must've been a rough time for her too. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete