Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Cambodian Film and Space Salon (Dec. 10, 2014)


So today was quite interesting. It started out with a nice FT chat with LIviah, Zakki, Jon and Amanda. What a great way to start any day. Thanks guys.

After that, I got ready and Laure-Elie and I went for breakfast to a hotel across the street. It looked really nice and actually was really nice, though the breakfast L-E had hoped for wasn’t as good as she’d wished. Mine was quite good, as I ordered Pho Soup with beef balls and buffalo meat. It was delicious and a very large serving. 

View out the restaurant this morning

Another view from restaurant

Laure-Elie at breakfast

Restaurant



















Me in the open air restaurant this morning
Then we walked to find the shopping mall that was not too far away from the hostel. After about 20 minutes, we found it. The mall was really large, but kind of cheesy inside, interspersed with nicer stores. It was really quite the ecclectic collection.

Nail polish display in mall
Escalator and stores


Trying out the massage chair

Sponge Bob is everywhere

Shoes Livs?





While we were in the mall, we saw there was a movie theatre. L-E is a film director and loves movies, and so do I. We went up to the theatre because there was a sign about free movies due to the Cambodian film festival. We inquired and were given two tickets to attend a Korean movie with English subtitles, for free. We were thrilled and went in. The movie was a documentary called 9 Muses, and was about these 9 very beautiful young girls who were trying to make it as a girl group with dancing, singing and pop stardom. It was really well done and we both liked it a lot. What a cool thing to happen upon!

Food court in the mall
Food court


Looking down from top floor of mall

Looking outside from mall balcony

Inside the movie theatre

Movie theatre



























After that, we left the mall and walked back to the hostel, where I was to give the staff some money for them to organize my Vietnam Visa. I spent quite a long time this morning with them, figuring out how long a visa I had to purchase regarding actual days in Vietnam. They are very strict with this and don’t give a month from date of entry to next month on that date, like Thailand and Cambodia do. You only have 30 days, counting the day you arrive. I needed to apply for a 3 month visa, because my flight to Bali is on the 31st day. What a drag, but live and learn. At least I didn’t discover this on my way out of Vietnam, as they charge you a lot when that happens. However, it is all underway now, so that’s good. 

We saw some cool things along our walk home, through the Central Market and streets.

More Sponge Bob

Street view

Street view

Christmas  season in Phnom Penh


Once I had given them the money for the visa, and my passport for processing, we decided to go out and find this hair salon and bar that I found on Trip Advisor. It had great ratings for this stylist, and is a gay/straight friendly salon and bar. It is close to the hostel, so we walked over to have a look and maybe a drink. I need to get my hair coloured and cut, and am dreading having anyone other than my beloved Julia, touch it. In any case, I think I will have this guy do it, as his work looks ok, but not up to my usual standard….lol. 

We sat down and spoke to the owner, who is the partner of the stylist, and they are in business together as well as being a couple. The guy we spoke to is from Spain and now living here with his partner. He, the stylist, and all the people we met at the bar were just lovely and super friendly. It’s a really cool place and we stayed for quite a while, chatting and watching and just having a great time. I made an appointment to go back tomorrow afternoon, as the poor stylist looked run off his feet today, as it was a holiday of some kind and everyone came to have their hair done. He is the only stylist there, and I felt I might get better work if he was more rested. We’ll see tomorrow.

Doggie at the Space Salon
Space Salon and Bar


People we sat with at Space Salon

Same

Sign

Looking in from patio



























Finally we dragged ourselves out of there and walked back toward the hostel. By this time, we needed some dinner, and decided to stop at a place that one of the people we met in the bar suggested. He lives here along with a few others, and said that several restaurants and dance places were good to go to. We ate at the Happy Fat Man restaurant and it was really good and a lot cheaper than the tourist areas.

Khmer Curry dish....almost forgot...sorry
Vegetables and tofu


Stall in Night Market


Seating for Night Market food stalls

Another stall


















Tomorrow we will see the Royal Palace and the Silver Pagoda. I will also get my hair done.

Talk to you later.

6 comments:

  1. What a great sounding day! Love all the colourful and vibrant life!
    Im happy to hear to you're getting the visa stuff worked out, i think the 3 month option is better anyway?
    don't forget to check for free wifi when you go to hotels and other places (like the salon), or movie theatre, or malls?
    Always good to FT, love that! and you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks J. That's so sweet. It's amazing how one can look without stress...lol.

      Delete
  3. Great blog of your full day. Loved the pix of u & L-E. I can't figure out what her white pants are made of. They seem to blouse out below the knees, & that's a style I haven't seen before. How do they do that??? Pix of u look so relaxed & full of smiles. Glad u have a nice person to go out & explore with. Lots of walking from the sound of it, but Cleo seems to be holding out. Not that u would tell us if it didn't. So glad u found a place to dare to get your hair done. It's a big act of faith to go to someone else after your Julia's skilled & talented hand! Love u lots & fled to reading your blog every day. Thanks for spending the time to share it so beautifully w all of us. Hugs, Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L-E bought her pants in Paris and they don't have elastic at the ankles, that's why they look blousey.
      Thanks for your comment. Sorry the next installments are a bit late. Loved FTing this morning. You're so sweet.

      Delete
  4. That's "glued to reading your blog"

    ReplyDelete