Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Long Walk Alone (Dec. 23, 2014)

                                                                                                                      Photos on my walk........blog being weird again. 

Trees and forest
Trees and forest

Buildings under construction
Expensive hotel under construction


Gate of expensive hotel

Graffiti on a wall
Today I got up early and decided to take a long walk, just by myself, to kick out the cobwebs and  ground myself. It was amazing and the perfect thing to do.

I tried to shower before leaving, but the power went off, and the water wasn’t working for the showers. So, I put on my semi dirty clothes, grabbed my purse and bottle of water, and set off. I didn’t really have any particular destination in mind, but wanted to be away from the beach area with the vendors, and tourists. I found myself walking toward that beach that I have gone to a couple of times, Independence Beach. I suppose because it is so quiet and calm, without many people, it kind of drew me.

It took me about an hour and a half to get there, but I saw many wonderful things along the way, and was peaceful and happy to just keep walking. See the photos above, too.

Beautiful tree with flowers on the roadside
Once at the beach, I wished I had thrown in my bathing suit because it was a bit hot, though not brightly sunny. There was a wonderful cloud cover, which is perfect for me, as well as a nice strong breeze. I decided that I would look at the couple of little shops at the beach, to see if they had any bathing suits that might fit. It’s a challenge here, as the Cambodian women are really tiny and the tops of all the suits are usually too small for me. Well, as luck would have it, I did find one that fit me, and bought it for $8. A steal on a hot day, far from your stuff, with a cool ocean calling you…….lol.
I will make use of it, as I only have one suit with me and when it’s wet, it isn’t nice to have to put on. I did buy another one in Koh Tao, but the bottoms are a bit tight and not flattering. They wouldn’t let you try them on, because they were on the $5 sale rack. Fair enough, so I just bought it. The top fits well, but not the bottoms. Today’s suit, the top isn’t my favourite, but the bottoms fit really well, so I think I’ll just mix the two and have another suit to wear. Great!

I found a nice beach chair, under a straw umbrella and just chilled there, swam, and watched the water and some sweet Cambodian children playing in the water, just at the edge. One kid was only about 3 years old if that, and was absolutely loving the water washing up on her back and pushing her over. I think she liked the fact that I was watching her as well. She would say ‘Hey, hey……and then something in Khmer.’ I thought it was probably ‘watch me’, but I couldn’t say for sure.

Here are some things I saw at the beach. Livi, the crab was super cool. He was pushing sand out of a hole he was in. He would appear with a big blob of sand, then go back into the hole and come up with some more sand. He was really neat to watch. Those are his legs in the photo, pushing out the sand for himself.



Sand crab pushing sand out of his hole

Me, sitting under the straw umbrella
Cruise ship that was on the water at beach










I stayed and lazed on that chair for some hours, then walked back. I felt rejuvenated and happy when I called on Laure-Elie to see how she was feeling. She is better and will join me at Independence Beach tomorrow. I will go earlier than her, as I get up so early. I think I might walk again, but this time, will take my backpack, drawing stuff, book and munchies. That way I will have everything I need to stay for the day. Stella may join us too, but I want to go early because both of the other two, like to sleep late.

Tonight I just found a street vendor, with L-E, bought some noodles and took them to the two lions statue in the roundabout, to eat them. She wasn’t up for eating noodles yet, but wanted to go out for a walk, as she’s getting really sick of only seeing her room and the guesthouse restaurant.


That’s all for now. More tomorrow, and then…………scuba diving. 

3 comments:

  1. That sounded like the perfect quiet day w lots of walking, & less hot. Good u found a bathing suit to mix & match w the other ones. My family dinner went off well tonight. It was great to talk to u by FT, so u could see & greet everyone. They were happy u called. Of course the rest of us were too. Now they've all gone, I've cleaned up the house, & the full dishwasher is sloshing away in the kitchen. I'm pretty tired but it was fun. The food turned out really well, so that was a bonus. Really missed u being here w us in person, but the FT was the next best thing! Now I'm headed for bed. Have a happy snorkelling trip. Can't wait to hear about it. Thanks for sending pix of the current companions, & the places u r spending enjoyable times. Love u lots,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. That beach sounded exactly right for the day. So beautiful, and not crowded!
    Nice to have a quiet day of chilling and not running around, good for you.
    As mom said in her post, dinner was excellent, and delicious too! She did s great job.
    I wasn't as helpful as usual because of the kids needing attention and so on, so mom pretty much did everything, cooked, cleaned, served and so on. Very sweet. But I'm not surprised she's tired.
    Really nice to see the cousins! They enjoyed FT with you.
    Great pics, loving the posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That beach sounds beautiful I need to take a long walk with Luna myself to clear my head and start thinking good thoughts. Right now is all about inner cleangup, I got to clean up and simply and look at the big picture.

    ReplyDelete