Monday, December 1, 2014

Wats and wats of wats (Dec. 1, 2014)

Wow, December today, I can't believe it! My time is just timeless and because of the different places I am visiting, and how hot they are, it just doesn't seem like December. I'm sure you feel sorry for me......lol.

Today I got up early, met Stella, Feng and Oz, the two Chinese guys that were looking for someone to share the Tuk Tuk costs with for another temple sights seeing day. They are really nice, Feng, is 21 and his birthday is today is today. Oz is married, 30 and super nice as well. They come from the same city in China, close to Beijing. It was great to go visiting temples with them today. Both guys are smart and interesting. Feng is finished his second year of university in engineering and French language major. He is studying airplane engineering and will go to France to complete the rest of his courses, in French.

Oz sells pharmaceutical supplies for a large Japanese company, in China. He left his wife behind and is travelling with his young friend for his 8 days off. I enjoyed chatting with them among and between temples and finding out about their ways of life in China. It sounds quite restrictive and very tight when it comes to government constraints for the people. I think Oz would like to get out of China and loves to travel, but is fearful to quit his job and go off, as there are many people in line to take over his position, as there are for any position in China.

Stella, Feng, Me, Oz
Us enjoying coconut water to cool off 











We went to the first temple, which was Phnom Bakheng. It was not too big, but is located on top of a small mountain, well, really, a large hill. Many people go there for sunrise or sunset to watch from this temple. We decided that none of us wanted to get up to be there for 5:00 am, and didn't really care about sunset, as often there are clouds and you can't see anyway. I'm glad we didn't go for either as the platform at the top of the temple has no railings and is smaller than a basketball court. I could only imagine how crowded it would be when all the tourists and tour groups descend for the sunrise or set. It was lovely eventhough we weren't there for either.
Last few steps to the top

View from top of Phnom Bakheng



Beautiful carving in the wall

Another view from the top


Mother hen and chicks on walk up
Our walk up to the temple











Next we saw a temple called West Prasat Top. I don't really remember the different temples, but I'm sitting with Oz and Feng, having some wine for his 21st birthday, and Oz can actually remember which pics belong to which temple. I'm in awe of him for that, because I surely can't tell the differences unless they are really profound. This temple had a face for each direction and the faces respresented Compassion, Kindness, Equinimity, Serenity.

Gate leading up to the temple,
over a small river
Another view of the entry gate



Face on the temple spires
Lookout carving on the river crossing


View of temple
Another view of the faces


Cambodian girls crossing the bridge

Elephant on the way to the temple

Carvings on the wall


Me, looking out the window












A beautiful door for my collection
The third set of temples we saw were called the Bayon temples which means the temples for the elephants. These twelve temples were built to honour these beasts, but not to take them inside. We asked about that and our Tuk Tuk driver Sammy told us the story of these temples. They actually were used after being built for the elephants, to house the kings 12 wives, when his queen asked that the extra wives leave the palace. The long and the short of it was, including a giant in there somewhere, that the queen ended up being banished to a larger house amongst the elephant temples, and the other 12 wives went back to the palace to live with the king.



Two kids on our way to the temples

The Elephant temples

Me, on the way to the elephant temples
The fourth temple we visited was called Preah Khan which was dedicated to the armies putting down their arms. A lot of the statues and detailed wall etchings depicted soldiers putting down or holding swords to put down. It was really cool and had a very calm and safe feel to it. I liked the story that went along with this temple. Although different from the other temples, this one still had a wonderful story attached, as well interesting sights.

More kids
A beautiful tree

Temple view

A curved, long roof along one
side of the temple



Me in a temple window
Great view of the temple

Front view of the temple

Me in the temple











The fifth and final temple we visited wasn't very big, but was incredibly steep and high, and was the oldest temple of all of them. It was built in the 10th Century and had been hit by lightening at the top and the king believed this to be a bad omen and stopped all rituals and work on the temple. It was lately supported by the Chinese government to undertake renovations and restorations to preserve the temple. This temple was called Ta Keo.
Small shrine in the temple

Name card for temple


Selfie in Ta Keo

Bottom section of steps. I actually went up to
the top of the temple which was about two times
as many of these steep steps. Cleo's been so good
to me.

So that was my day. In the evening, we took Feng out for some food and enjoyed some wine with him. Tomorrow, the four of us are planning on going to a river by Tuk Tuk to see a floating market, and village that is on stilts. You take a boat along the river for about 2 hours, then see the sunset while on the boat. It sounds absolutely wonderful and well worth the trip. 




dinner.....roasted pumpkin curry with chicken soup and rice


I love this food!
I really like Cambodia. Jo, you were right, it's a wonderful place and the people are really friendly. It also helps that I have met some people to tour around with, making the costs less and the company more.....lol.

Talk to you tomorrow.











2 comments:

  1. Wow those temples look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thought you would love it....Cambodia and Vietnam shocked me in a good way, another interesting but difticult trip is the Killing Fields we went to the one in Phon Pen which was a historical journey I will never forget. Where are you going after Siem Reep? We flew to Sikoville (wrong spelling) great touristy beach party place where the pool motel (also had dorms) theey also do scuba diving there (in the ocean of course lov Jo

    ReplyDelete