Sunday, December 14, 2014

National Museum and a Movie (Dec. 14, 2014)

This morning I had a great chat with Julia, who liked my hair. She thought that Sopheap did a totally decent job on it, which is great. I think so too, but it’s nice to hear that from the top dog. Woof. I also had a great chat with Jan so I was doubly lucky today to talk to my loved ones. Thanks guys. You both made my day.

Then I got myself together and walked down to the National Museum of Cambodia. It isn’t far from here, and was really interesting. I saw many artifacts of Khmer dynasty and many many statues found in the temples and lands. The museum is open air and really lovely. It has a nice garden with lots of open space and seating that you can use to just sit and take in the artifacts. 
Add caption

Add caption


Exhibition of paintings at the museum

One of the paintings in metal

another painting for the exhibition

Statues in museum

Room full of buddist statues

View through several rooms at museum

A monk's throne

Sculpture in garden at museum

















































After I spent a couple of hours there, I walked to the Sorya Shopping Mall that Laure-Elie and I went to before. Now I needed some toiletries and thought that I should get them now, before going down to Sihanoukville, in the south, where they might not be as readily available. Dental floss seems to be an odd item that is very expensive, and/or you can’t find it. So I got some at a decent price, along with some more sunscreen. That too is very difficult to find in a high SPF and if you can find it, again, it’s a lot of money. I found that too, along with some toothpaste, munchies and water. It was a good venture and I’m glad I got the stuff now, as when I’m at the beach area, I am sure it will be super touristy and a high price. 

Cart of wares, rounding the corner

Christmas window














I came back to the hostel, downloaded my photos, and cooled off for a while. Then I started thinking of what I’d like to do in the evening, and looked up the Flicks Movie Theater in Phnom Penh. It is a community theatre, just up the street that shows all kinds of films for a cheap price, sitting on cushions, in an air conditioned theatre. I decided to see what they had playing and found that they are screening an award winning Killing Fields Movie, which I would very much like to see. So, I emailed in my reservation and have that to do later tonight. I’m sure it’s going to be super graphic, but will also help to educate me about the Khmer Rouge Regime. I’m sure when I do visit the Killing Fields, it will be that much more clear about what really happened.

The movie was great. The theatre isn't that small, but it is intimate and seats about 20 people or so. I was there early and got to stretch out on a long pillow with my feet up and cushions behind my head. It was really comfy and the movie sure gave a good story line about what was happening in Cambodia and Vietnam during the late 70's. Tomorrow I will go with four Australians that I found, and we will share the cost to visit the Killing Fields. 

More tomorrow.

10 comments:

  1. What a great way to see a movie! I always thought there should be recliners in theatres, but never imagined pillows on the floor forming one. I imagine the film was absorbing & informative. Also imagine that the actual Killing Field visit will be a pretty intense experience, maybe with a lingering aftermath. Your errands getting ready to travel again sounded successful. Wondering if u have already used up all the sunscreen I left w u. Probably goes fast when u have to keep reapplying lots to replace what melts & rolls off u in the heat & humidity. Hope the next steps in your journey turn out as u wish. Great Face Time w u this morning when the family was here. Love u & miss u lots. Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the FT too. It's always nice to talk to you guys. Love you lots.

      Delete
  2. Glad you liked the movie, it's really well done!
    An FYI, about the dental floss issue, I had a similar issue in Philippines, a heavier gage natural thread does a great job and is readily available and is dirt cheap.
    Love the sound of that movie theatre, comfy!
    Can't wait to see pics of the killing fields. Also an FYI, the Killing Fields are scattered all over the country, so maybe you can see more?
    Love you, miss you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really great movie. You were right. I sure had a better understanding after seeing it. Thanks for the suggestion about the dental floss, but I found some that wasn't too expensive.

      Delete
  3. I am catching up with you right now, I've never seen the movie the killing fields I'll have to look it up. That theater sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd like the movie and definitely the theater.

      Delete
  4. that theater sounds awesome, I've never seen that movie I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lydia,
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087553/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link, Jon. I looked at the trailer. Is the movie available on Netflix?

      Delete