Friday, January 11, 2019

Hakone (Jan. 11, 2019)

Mt. Fuji from Cable Car
Yokohama train station
Same
So I set out in the morning to journey to Hakone, which is less than 100 kms from Tokyo and is famous for it's hot springs, national parks, lake Ashi and a fantastic view of Mount Fuji. From where I am staying, by train, tram, and bus, it took me about 2.5-3 hours to get there. I left early morning and arrived around 11:00 am.

First view from tram of Hakone
Map of Hakone area




Picasso museum at Outdoor Gallery

Me
Sculptures at Outdoor Gallery
Same
Escalator to Outdoor Museum
First I walked around the Outdoor Museum which was incredible. There was a large park with a variety of sculptures installed throughout. There was also a small building that housed works from Picasso, but I wasn't allowed to photograph in there so you just get to see the outside. It was wonderful. I bought a day pass at Odawara Train station from the tourist information that allowed me access to all the busses, trains, trams, boats, cable car, etc. throughout the park, for the day. It was a great way to be able to jump on and off to see things that interested me during my visit there.

I stopped at a place where they allow you to use a Foot Bath in a beautiful area, for free. The water is from the hot springs so it's super lovely and very refreshing especially after such a long trek. I really liked doing that after walking around looking at the art.

View from the Foot Bath

Volcano from Cable Car
Cable Car over volcano
Same
Tram station

Sculptures in Open Air Museum
Open Air Sculpture



Same






After the Cable Car over the volcano, and the beautiful view of Mount Fuji, we got on a sightseeing ship that ferried us across Lake Ashi. It was beautiful to see the area from the water after just seeing it from so high above the lake and over the volcano. The Rope Cable Car was really cool, but we were so high up, it was also very humbling! The photos below are from the boat.



Next I boarded a bus that was available once we got off the boat. There were several busses actually, but I wanted bus K, which was the bus that would take me along this super windy mountain road, to an Onsen, or Japanese Bath, that was suggested to me by one of the women I spoke to at a tourist information center. She said it was her favourite and reasonably priced, but no English. I said fine and headed off to see what it was like.

I found the correct stop on my map, indicated to the driver that I wanted to get off, and wound my way down a steep hill to the Onsen. Having never been to an Onsen before, I had no idea what to do. I walked in and the first thing you do is to put your shoes into a little locker, and take the key. Then you pay for the Onsen, and buy a towel if you didn't bring your own. Note to self, always bring my own from now on when I visit Onsens! The towel they sell you for a couple of bucks, is about as big as two wash cloths from Canada, but it was fine because you go naked into the baths, with only women. I have to say that I felt a bit conscious as I am so much bigger than most of the women, and so much whiter....lol. I got a lot of stares while in the Onsen, but it was ok.

It is an open air concept built into the mountain, with several different natural hot spring baths to immerse yourself in. When I was sent down the stairs to the Onsen, I had no idea what to do next. A lovely woman who recognized that I hadn't been to one before said to me in very broken Japanese, "First time?" I said yes, so she showed me that I had to first have a shower, which was a long row of tiny, low wooden stools that you sit on, and a shower head on a handle that you shower yourself with before entering the pools. Everything was wooden and very small, with soap, shampoo and conditioner provided. Once clean, I followed her to the area where there were several open air baths with beautiful rocks to sit on and wooden structures high overhead for vines to cover, in the summer. The steam from the hot springs was rising up from all the baths, and you basically just went from one to another, outside, and enjoyed the different relaxing views and temperatures of water. There were women of all ages, as well as kids. It was such a cool experience. For obvious reasons, I don't have photos, but sure wish I could show you.

After the baths, you did the shower thing again, got dressed and could relax in Rest Areas which were large sections of the building with bamboo tatami mats covering the floors. It was such a wonderful experience, I was so relaxed after the day of walking around.

Then I caught the bus at the top of the hill again, and began my long journey back to Yokosuka. I think I arrived back home at 9:30 or 10 pm. The train ride was again about 2-3 hours long, but totally worth it. I would go back to Hakone again, as I didn't have time to see many things there, including a big Shrine and historic Check Point. Those will be for next time.

Below is me, chilling on the tatami mat before leaving the Onsen. What a great day, but wow, tired!!! Slept in today until 10 am, and am having a slow day to try and catch up. Keron had to work last night and ended up having an emergency at work, so it's now near lunch time and he's still not back. Poor guy! Anyway, more news tomorrow. Thanks for reading.

Me outside onsen waiting for bus
Yokohama station to transfer trains on way home
Look how clean their subway trains are
Me chilling after onset in Rest Area

4 comments:

  1. Wow, what a wonderful day, so much to see and experience 🤗

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m super jealous about the open air sculpture exhibit!!!
    I can imagine it was peaceful and thought provoking.
    You look amazingly happy, and that continues to make my heart smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Wow. Wow. You brought back some beautiful memories. I know those sensations and yes, it is truly an awesome experience. You will never enjoy bathing as much as you will in Japan. It is an art form there! That lake looks incredibly beautiful and the location so serene. Keep 'em coming girl- its a real treat to share it all with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! So cool, Sue! Sounds like it was an amazing day. xo

    ReplyDelete