Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Kyoto and Fushimi Inari Taisha (Jan. 23, 2019)

This morning I got up slowly, got ready and found my way to Kyoto. The hostel I booked was on the suggestion of Kris, who I met at Koya-san. He said it was really reasonable and was in a traditional 100 year old building. I thought that might be cool, so I booked it. It is sure a drastic difference from the one I just came from, but I really like it, and it's super quaint. The staff are really nice and there's really no one to speak of, staying here so it's very quiet.

After settling in, I figured out what I might like to do. First thing was to locate the nearest supermarket because I can get amazing food there, for very little money. Once I did that, I planned out where I would like to go today. I decided that I would like to see Mount Inari. I had read that there are about a million red tori gates going up the mountain to the top, so I decided to visit it. Someone I met said that if you go just before sunset, it's really beautiful and you can see the city of Kyoto at night. I went for it. It was lovely, but a heck of a lot of stairs.......lol. My hip, knee and foot are doing pretty well as long as I take my drugs every four hours. I am super happy that I can still walk a lot even with all the issues. I feel very lucky!

After I visited Fushimi Inari, I made my way back to the supermarket that I found, bought my dinner and some white wine. You can't drink red wine with sushi, and the saki gave me nightmares, so I thought I'd try some white wine instead.......lol. So enjoy the pics, it's been a great day. Tomorrow I think I'm going to go to this cool art museum called Forever Museum of Contemporary Art. It's super whacky and the artist is a woman that is really bizarre. Look it up. You'll find it pretty neat. I'm also going to go to an onsen that I found online. It's very cheap, and offers real hot spring water that many of the onsens here do not. It also has intersting saunas with scents and apparently there are some comedy actors that show up and put smelly stuff on the coals and fan you. We'll see, but it's supposed to be very good according to Trip Advisor. It's a little far away, but that's ok. I'll go to the museum and then to the onsen. Should be a wonderful day.

The library at hostel
Outside of hostel
Part where room is located
Little garden by bathroom
Common area in hostel
View coming in door for hostel
Hostel area
My bed
My room
Fushimi Inari Tori Gate
Girls taking photos at Inari
Map of Inari Mountain
Walking up the mountain
So many tori gates
More tori gates on the way up
Sunset near the top of the mountain
Shrine on way up
Kyoto Tower
My dinner and wine - $10
Me at hostel





















1 comment:

  1. That hostel is really different? We’re you comfortable there?
    I’m sure you’re making the best of it!
    The $10 meal is a bonus.
    Interesting mountain climb!! I love the shrines and winding path, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete